The Orange Lilly "O"

The Orange Lilly "O"

Saturday 14 May 2011

The Banks of the Bann

As I went a-strolling down by the Hilltown
The lovely fresh mountains they did me surround
I spied a pretty fair maid to me she looked grand
She was gathering wild roses on the banks of the Bann.

I stepped up to this fair one and to her I did say,
Since nature has formed us for to meet on this way
Since nature has formed us then here is my hand
And we'll walk together on the banks of the Bann.

Then into a corner where the change it took place
I knew by the flush that arose on her face
Her feet they fell from her on that soft bed of sand
And she fell into my arms on the banks of the Bann.

Now it's young man you have wronged me come tell me your name
So that when the babe is born I can give it the same."
"My name is Willy Archer and you'll understand
And my home and habitation lies close to the Bann."

But I cannot marry you I'm apprentice bound
To the spinning and the weaving in Rathfriland town
But when my term is ended then here is my hand
And we will get married on the banks of the Bann.

Now come all you pretty fair maids take a warning by me
Don't go out a-courting by one, two or three
Don't go out a-courting by three, two or one
Or you'll meet with Willy Archer on the banks of the Bann.

No comments:

Post a Comment