The Orange Lilly "O"

The Orange Lilly "O"

Saturday 14 May 2011

I'll Never See Tomorrow (V)

I don't understand sir, I'm bewildered and afraid
In this foreign land, that soon will be my grave
Was it all for nothing, I fought and fell and then
Padre I don't understand

I see the white surf crashing, on the rocks at Carnalee
And white seabirds soaring, above the restless sea
And those old familiar voices, are whispering to me
Calling me back from afar
(Chorus)
For I must go now, my stories over 
And I'll never see tomorrow

So many died before me
I saw them fall this morning
I heard my comrades screaming
As life from them was torn
And from the devastation, around the river Somme
I prayed that I'd see tomorrow

White swans cried upon the Lagan
The river shining brightly
I see my friends and family
All wreathed in golden light
And the glorious Ulster summer time
Bursts upon my sight, but I never will see it again
(Chorus)
For I must go now, my stories over
And I'll never see tomorrow

My journies nearly ended, my pilgrimage is done
From the broken hourglass, the sands of time have run
Soon the Lord will finish, this life that He begun
And I give myself into His hand

But please take my hand sir, I'm bewildered and afraid
The words have all been spoken, the prayers have all been prayed
Black shadows form around me and cover up my head
But padre, I don't understand
(Chorus)
For I must go now, my stories over 
And I'll never see tomorrow (x2)

No comments:

Post a Comment