The Orange Lilly "O"

The Orange Lilly "O"

Saturday 14 May 2011

LONDONDERRY ON THE BANKS OF THE FOYLE

Londonderry on the Banks of the Foyle

Oh I know a wee spot, 'tis a place of great fame
And it lies to the North, now I'll tell you it's name
'Tis my own little birthplace, and it's on Ulster soil
Sure they call it Londonderry on the banks of the Foyle

Now I courted a wee girl, her age was nineteen
She was the fairest lassie that ever you've seen
For her cheeks were like roses and her hair waved in coil
And she came from Londonderry on the banks of the Foyle

By those banks I have roamed, in the dear days gone by
With my dear girl I strolled, not a tear, not a sigh
Her fair charms without equal, from the Erne to the Moyle
Oh, sweet maid from Londonderry on the banks of the Foyle

But now cruel misfortune drove me from my home
'Twas my fate in deep sorrow to sail o'er the foam
And now from dark strangers, in grief I recoil
While I pine for Londonderry on the banks of the Foyle

Oh, mind when I left her, for to cross o'er the sea
For to try and make a fortune, for Mary and me
How I cried when I left her, but my tears fell in toil
Far away from Londonderry on the banks of the Foyle

I was young, I was wild, like the rest of the boys
I had not many sorrows nor yet many joys
I worked hard for a living, all day I did toil
Far away from Londonderry on the banks of the Foyle

I was fearing that another had a place in her heart
And that from me my darling forever would part
That no more she would brighten with her sweet sunny smile
My dear home in Londonderry on the banks of the Foyle

For my true love was buxom, and a fine girl to see
That she won my affection, all my friends did agree
And I long for to wed her, on our own native soil
Though I'm far from dear Londonderry on the banks of the Foyle

But a wee bird came flying from over the sea
And he brought me a letter from my true love to see
Saying "Come home, my darling, to your native soil
And I'll wed you in Londonderry on the banks of the Foyle"

Now when I make a fortune, then to home I will go
To the dear land of my boyhood, to the sweet girl I know
I will build her a mansion, and no more need we toil
far away from Londonderry on the banks of the Foyle

No comments:

Post a Comment