The Orange Lilly "O"

The Orange Lilly "O"

Saturday 14 May 2011

Kitty of Coleraine

Kitty of Coleraine

As beautiful Kitty one morning was tripping
With a pitcher of milk from the fair of Coleraine,
When she saw me she stumbled, the pitcher it tumbled,
And all the sweet buttermilk water'd the plain.

Oh! what shall I do now, 'twas looking at you now,
Sure such a fine pitcher I'll ne'er see again,
'Twas the pride of my dairy, Oh! Barney McCleary
You're sent as a plague to the girls of Coleraine.

I sat down beside her, and gently did chide her,
That such a misfortune should give her such pain,
A kiss then I gave her, and before I did leave her,
She vow'd for such pleasure, she'd break it again.

'Twas haymaking season, I can't tell the reason,
Misfortune, will never come single 'tis plain.
For very soon after poor Kitty's disaster,
The devil a pitcher was whole in Coleraine.

No comments:

Post a Comment