The Orange Lilly "O"

The Orange Lilly "O"

Saturday 14 May 2011

The YCV Brigade (Newer Version) (V)

Oh father why are you so sad this 1st of July morn
When Ulster men are proudly glad of the land where they were born
Oh son I see in memory of the things that used to be
When being just a lad like you, I joined the Y.C.V

From the hills and glens the call to arms was heard by one and all
And from the glens came brave young men to answer Ulsters call
T'was long ago we faced the foe, the Y.C.V and me
And by my side they fought and died, that Ulster might be free

So now my son i've told you why on July morn I sigh
For I recall my Comrades all in darkest days gone by
I recall the men who fought in the glen with rifle and grenade
May heaven keep the men that sleep in the Y.C.V Brigade
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like many songs here there are several popular versions that whilst the tune remains common to them the words vary and this song falls into that category. Please see below for a slightly different version. The letters Y.C.V. stand for Young Citizen Volunteers.

Son you asked me why, I look so sad, this 1st of July morn
When Ulstermen, are proud and glad, of the land where they were born
Oh son I see, in memory, of things that used to be
When bein just, a lad like you, I joined the Y.C.V.

In hill and glen, his call to arms, was heard by one and all
And from the glens, came brave young men, to answer Carsons call
T'was way back then, we faced the foe, the Y.C.V. and me
And by my side, they fought and died, that Ulster might be free

So now my son, you’ll understand, why this July morn I sigh
For I recall, comrades who fell, in darkest days gone by
I recall the men, who fought back then, with rifle and grenade
Kind heaven keep, the men who sleep, in the Y.C.V. Brigade (x2)

No comments:

Post a Comment