The Orange Lilly "O"

The Orange Lilly "O"

Saturday 14 May 2011

The Black Man's Dream (A.D. 1795)

The Black Man's Dream (A.D. 1795)

One night I thought a vision brought Me to a spacious plain,
Whereon its centre stood a mount, Whose top I wished to gain;
Orange and blue and purple, too, Were given me to wear,
And for to see the mystery They did me thus prepare.

My guide a pack placed on my back - With pillars of an arch -
A staff and scrip placed in my hand, And thus I on did march;
Through desert lands I travelled o'er, And the narrow road I trod,
TIll something did obstruct my path, In the nature of a toad.

So then I saw what did me awe, Though wandering in a dream -
A flaming bush, though unconsumed, Before me did remain;
And as I stood out of the wood I heard a heavenly sound,
Which bade me cast my shoes away, For this was holy ground.

Two men I saw, with weapons keen, Which did me sore annoy ­
Unto a pyramid I ran That standing was close by;
And as I climbed the narrow way, A hand I there did see,
Which laid the lofty mountains In the scale of equity.

Blue, gold, and black, about my neck, This apparition placed -
Into a chariot I was put, Where we drove off in haste;
Twelve dazzling lights of beauty bright Were brought to guide my way,
And as we drove through cypress shades One of them did decay.

Near to a mount I saw a fount Of living waters flow;
I being dry, then did reply, To drink you there may go;
The mystic cup I then took up, And drank a health to all
That were born free and kept their knee From bowing unto Baal.

No comments:

Post a Comment